Villisca Postcard Gallery
Villisca began as a small settlement called The Forks,
between the Middle and West Nodaway River.
The town was platted in February 1858 and renamed Villisca. The
village grew into a booming town thanks to the CB&Q and over
two dozen passenger and freight trains rolling through Villisca's
Depot on a daily basis.
By the early 1900s the town boasted of several
businesses and manufacturing, an opera house, theater, banks,
newspapers, and a school.
The Villisca Public Library opened its doors in 1912 and is
for business today.
A number of churches welcomed parishioners, including the
Methodist Church on 3rd Avenue. Today Villisca is home to
seven active churches that often work together in the form
of the Villisca Interchurch Council.
Some of Villisca's charm can be found in its residential areas
with beautiful Victorian homes and classic architecture.
Villisca's Public Square was once filled with magnificent elm
Though the elms are gone, the lovely city park draws the community
together for picnics, celebrations, concerts, family outings and quiet
walks and reflection at the Company F Memorial honoring Villisca's
The Villisca Cemetery.
All photo postcards courtesy Fourth Wall